Monday, May 28, 2012

Twins

I was recently asked to make quilts for twin girls.  Beyond being told that the twins' room is painted grey, I was given free reign to make two quilts that were complimentary but not exactly the same.  I thought about using two different quilt patterns and the same fabrics and colors, but ultimately decided that a single quilt design with two different color palettes would look more cohesive.


After searching Flickr and Pinterest for inspiration, I decided to make two lattice quilts - one in turquoise and pink and one in turquoise and purple.  Both quilts feature a Kona Coal background and a stripey (*love*) binding in the quilt's accent color. The nearly-identical backs are a solid piece of a Michael Miller grey and white damask with a feature strip of the quilt's accent color.
 

I was really torn on how to quilt them, but after much deliberation, I decided to take a risk and try something totally new to me.  I used Elizabeth's Orange Peel quilting design.  Firstly, I need to say that Elizabeth is a rockstar to be able to FMQ this pattern - there is no way I could do it that way.  I used my regular foot with my feed dogs up to achieve this design.  That said, I love the effect of this pattern and it was surprisingly easy to accomplish.  I do see myself using this style of quilting a lot in the future.   



After a nice wash and a hot dry, these quilts finished at a soft and crinkly 47" square.  They'll be on their way to two sweet little girls tomorrow and I hope they'll be loved dearly and used often.
 



4 comments:

Monkeysinmypocket said...

they are so cool. Love the colours. I think there is nothing to worry about in the loving them department!

Brynn said...

I love how simple and pretty these quilts are. The coal does a great job of showing off the colors. Great job!

Jacey said...

I was really impressed with your orange peel quilting! And the colors are wonderful. I bet they'll be loved!

Florescaroly said...

Leading Carpet Cleaner in Ocala are trained to use multiple carpet cleaning methods. Because of this and customer demand we offer our customers more options than most other carpet cleaners; steam carpet cleaning which dries in 4 to 8 hours and our deep scrub carpet cleaning which dries in just one hour.