Wednesday, April 25, 2012

KCWC - Spring 2012 v1

Are you familiar with the bi-annual Kid's Clothing Week Challenge over at Elsie Marley?  I love it - it's always the kick in the pants I need to start working on a summer (or winter) wardrobe for my kids.  The challenge is to sew kids clothing for at least one hour each day for a week. We are two days in and I've put together this lovely twirly dress for Sprout. 


When we saw this Popsicle print by Lisette at JoAnn Fabrics a few weeks ago, Sprout was smitten.  She immediately asked for a popsicle dress and I knew I wanted to make a twirly dress for her - the girl loves to spin.  This dress is made by combining two patterns - the Henny Penny dress that the lovely and talented Ramona created, and the twirly skirt tutorial from This Mama Makes Stuff.    Apart, they look like this and this, and both are lovely, but they are especially fun combined. 


That said, I don't think I'm going to add the twirly bottom to Ramona's pattern again.  I love her dress as the pattern is written and the dress really does have a full enough skirt to begin with.  Plus, it was kind a pain to attach a different skirt to the bodice of her dress - it is much easier to just cut out the a single piece dress pattern.   But I do see myself making the Henny Penny dress lots more and also using the twirly skirt tutorial again and again - both patterns are so awesome. 

I'd love to hear about what you're making as part of KCWC.  Do drop me a note and let me know....

3 comments:

Sew I Was Thinking... said...

So stinkin' cute! Good job momma :)

**nicke... said...

very cute jules! she looks very happy!

Jacey said...

Hi, friend! I miss you! I've been out of the loop (for a good reason, of course), but I am loving this dress! So twirly! Also, I'm glad we're friends over on instagram, so I can see what you're up to more frequently.

Thanks for helping with my super awesome quilt. You're awesome. xo