Saturday, January 21, 2012

Winter Gardening

This is the first year that I've gardened and while my summer garden was a hit, I fear that I put my winter garden down way too late, even for my toasty warm Zone 10 climate.  The garden has been slow-going, but nearly three months after planing my winter seeds, I'm finally starting to see the fruits of my labors. 

Of the billions of broccoli seeds I planted, I have a single head ready to be harvested.  There are a few more that look promising.  Broccoli is one of the few green veggies that both of my kids will eat, so I'm looking forward to this harvest.


The carrots have been great and plentiful.  My son has never eaten so many carrots in his life as he has this winter.  He gets such a kick out of dangling them out of his mouth and asking "What's up, Doc?" in his best Bugs Bunny voice.  We've already just put down some more carrot seeds in the hope of getting a second winter harvest of these sweet, crunchy gems.  If we get a big enough harvest, I might consider trying to pickle some of them.  






The pumpkins are trying to make a good showing, but the hard freeze we got early last month seems to have taken it's toll on them.  We finally have a tiny fruit forming.  I'm not sure if it'll ever ripen fully.  We'll see.


And lastly, the blueberries are starting to bud.  I planted four plants last summer, each a different varietal and plan to put a few more plants in this year.  I envision a proper blueberry orchard in my wee backyard... 

 

I'm already looking towards spring and summer veggies - the new seeds will be ready to go down in just another month or so.  Bean has requested that we grow peanuts (that's what I get for giving him the Burpee catalogue and asking him what he'd like to grow) and Sprout wants tomatoes - the one thing that failed to thrive last summer.  As for me, I'm looking forward to lots of peas and asparagus this year.  How about you?

3 comments:

Monkeysinmypocket said...

it looks fantastic! Lucky you! I have geese destroying EVERYTHING.The only thing I've gotten from my vegie garden this summer is chillies!

Jessy said...

Wow! Looks great! I will be very impressed if you grow peanuts!

Jacey said...

I'm so excited that when I move in to Elliott's, we'll have an actual backyard, instead of my itty bitty patio. I'll have to share the backyard with Elliott's big dog, but I'm hoping to fence off a small area for gardening. Tomatoes are definitely on the list, and peppers. I'm not sure what else I'll plant.

I LOVE broccoli. I eat it at least once a week, usually roasted.