Friday, January 6, 2012

Out With the Old, In With the New



The Rainbow Fence Quilt was my last of 2011.  It had been sitting in my WIP bin for a few months - just waiting for me to quilt and bind it.  But there were holidays and related sewing and before I knew it, I was staring down the end of the year.  I really wanted to finish this one up (as my 14th start-to-finish quilt for 2011) so powered through the quilting and binding with just hours to go in 2011.


I used up tons of scraps from my scrap bin that I had cut into strips earlier in the year, as well as some purples that I had to trade for, as my stash is woefully short on purple.  This is my second rainbow quilt of the year using those scrappy strips, and I love it tons.  It's so bright and cheery and every little scrap has a story to tell.



I bought some new fabric for the back - all from JoAnns and most on clearance.  I feel like the back is the perfect compliment to the front.  It's lightly quilted in a chevron pattern - I'm finding lately that as much as I love the look of stippling, I really, really, really like the drape of light straight-line quilting.  It's bound in some KJR stripes and finished size after a run through the dryer is 40”X59”.  It’s listed in the shop.

And with the completion of the Rainbow Fence quilt came the beginning of Laura’s quilt.  A dear friend, the woman who introduced me to my husband, is expecting her first child next month.  She’s one of the nicest people I know and is going to make such an awesome mama.  I really wanted to make something special for her babe.  She’s decorating the nursery with an African animal theme, so this is what I made for her.












I used two Michael Miller animal prints as my jumping point and continued from there.  I love the colors in this quilt – I had been worried that the animal theme might start to get too twee, but I feel like this group of colors keeps the quilt looking sophisticated and modern.  My inspiration for the quilt was this - I love on pointe squares.  The finished size after drying is 40"x48" - perfect for a new baby but big enough to grow with him.  That's my six year old holding it up in the photo above  - it's just about as tall as he is now.  Congratulations, Laura!

I'm excited to have my first start-to-finish quilt of the year done already with 359 more days of quilting ahead of me.  Next on the docket - Jacey's mini (I know you're reading this, J!).

4 comments:

Kelly said...

Great work girly!!!

Jacey said...

I am reading this, and yay! That means I need to get going on your hat. It's been sitting, about halfway finished for weeks. I'll get moving!

And Jules, both of these quilts are beautiful! I really love the quilt for Laura. The colors are wonderful. I really adore non-baby baby quilts!

Live a Colorful Life said...

Jules, the baby quilt is just beautiful. LOVE the colors so much!

Rachel Hauser said...

Nice to meet you! Wow, that's a lot of quilts in 2011. Your baby quilt definitely has a sophisticated vibe with all your use of black and the lovely on point squares. I like how the black sashing makes some of the squares read larger than the others. Col!