Saturday, November 19, 2011

New Placemats

Earlier this year, 6 lovely ladies each made me a 12.5" quilt block. They used their fabrics and a pattern of their choice and I had no say in anything except for the colors - in this case,  blues, greens, and purples.  And so goes the 3x6 Bee.


I had no idea what to expect and was delighted at the blocks that I received.  I knew I'd be using the blocks for kitchenwares - possibly a table runner.  Maybe some potholders.  But time got away from me and the lovely blocks were shoved in the bottom of my WIP bin.  I finally pulled them out and decided to turn them into a set of placemats and a matching hot pad (which isn't done yet, so no pix of that).


I added a patchwork border on the sides and some white sashing to bring the finished size of each mat to 15"x18".  They're a bit oversized, but if they prove too large for my table, I'll give 'em a spin in the dryer and shrink them a bit.  


I love their scappy look and how they're brought together with matching edging and binding.  They highlight the colors of my dishes and kitchen walls.


 Thanks so much, ladies!!  I love my new placemats and really appreciate your lovely blocks!

3 comments:

Kelly said...

These came out great Jules! How are you doing? How's grandpa?

Jacey said...

Ooh, I love these! They make such a happt table! Any improvements?

Live a Colorful Life said...

Oh, Jules, those are great! I think I spy my block in there somewhere, too.