Monday, November 7, 2011

Habitat Quilt Challenge

The Los Angeles Modern Quilt Guild (LAMQG), like many of the other Modern Guilds, is  participating in the Habitat Quilt Challenge.  Can I be honest here?  I really don't like this line.  With apologies to designer Jay McCarroll, I know a lot of people love it oodles and I just don't get it.

When I got my bundle of fabric, I just stared at it.  For weeks.  It was just so uninspiring to me, and as I struggled, Ramona reminded me that sometimes less can be more.  Thank you to Ramona for this reminder.  Knowing that I didn't have to saturate my quilt with Habitat fabrics kind of freed up my creativity.  From there, I started riffing on how a play on words with "Habitat."  And I finally came up with this.

My colors are a bit off today, but the body of the quilt is Kona Berry and the stem and leaf outlines are bias tape made with Kona Grass.  The leaves and binding are made out of the Habitat fabric.  I made this simple flower/vine creation that kind of looks something you'd find in the natural habitat of something or another.  I used contrasting thread to free motion quilt "The natural habitat of a child is wrapped up in a quilt."


Lastly, I quilted the whole thing with repeating straight lines of the word "habitat."


All in all, I have to say that I love it.  I didn't expect to, but I do.  I wish I had purchased a yard of one of the prints from the Habitat line for the backing - some of those prints are so busy that my quilted words, which are not as pretty from the back, would have been nicely hidden in the pattern.  Instead, I used a solid, so the back of the quilt isn't as pretty as I'd like.

I was so unenthusiastic about the line that I didn't want to spend $10 for a yard of backing.  I really wish that I had ponied up the funds, though, because this quilt looks so unfinished from the back.  For the small price that I would have spent on the backing, I would have had a gorgeous quilt.  As it stands, I have a very pretty quilt from the front and a lot of "blah" from the back.  *sigh*  You live, you learn. 

This quilt is destined for Quilts for Kids - an organization that I support annually.  Since the Habitat fabric was donated to the LAMQG members, I can't think of a better thing to do with this quilt than to donate it - it's all about paying it forward.

3 comments:

Live a Colorful Life said...

I hear ya! There were like two fabrics in the line that were "okay" and I have 1/2 yard of each I think. But the rest? Not so much...

I really like that you challenged yourself and were able to make this quilt. I like it a lot.

Anonymous said...

Stop beating yourself up over this quilt...the inspiration lead you in a great direction, and I can see you using this idea with fabric that you really love...besides, some child is going to love it!!M

Jacey said...

This quilt is definitely different from what you usually create, but it's really unique! I'm sure a kiddo will cherish it, and your quilting lovely. I've really enjoyed seeing all of the challenge quilts. Pairing the line with different solids makes a world of difference.