Friday, August 12, 2011

Thank You Pie

The week before last, I was on Jennifer Perillo's website learning about preserving cherries. Her writing is a joy to read - both funny and insightful. Her recipes are amazing and I wish I made half the things that she does on a regular basis.

This week, I was there again, learning of the sudden loss of her husband, Mikey. After reading her story, I found myself so badly wanting to do something for her and her children who will never again dance with their Daddy. Anything. And thankfully, Jennifer let me know just what to do.

For those asking what they can do to help my healing process, make a peanut butter pie this Friday and share it with someone you love. Then hug them like there's no tomorrow because today is the only guarantee we can count on.

So today I made Peanut Butter Pie with my kids.


When I told Bean that we were making pie, he asked if it could be Thank-You Pie. Last year, Bean started what will become a family tradition whereby everyone puts a candle in the pumpkin pie at Thanksgiving and says what they are most thankful for. Then all the candles are lit and everyone blows them out in unison.



Tonight I will share this pie with the three most important people in my life and I know what my "most thankful" will be as I place my candle into the pie. I'm glad I have this day to share with my kids and my husband and will give them all an extra kiss tonight at bedtime. Please do the same with those that you love.

3 comments:

Amy said...

Oh my goodness, I followed the link and read her post. How sad. It breaks my heart.

Jenny said...

oh jules...what happened? reading that post breaks my heart...our plans are totally changed for the weekend and now i am spending the weekend with my kids and husband...and am making peanut butter pie right now. for breakfast i guess...

Jacey said...

Oh, so sad. Heart-wrenching. I love her call to share peanut butter pie, and I'm glad she has family and readers who can support her. Heart you, Jules!