Friday, August 12, 2011

Puttin' Up

So, I got the canning bug this year - like I need another hobby in my life. But once I started, I find that I kinda can't stop. It started with the BHG Canning Magazine that I saw at the check-out line at the market. Then I spent hours reading more than a year's worth of posts over at Food In Jars. And now I have a cabinet full of beautiful and delicious homemade preserves.


I started with things like basic berry jams, using lots of sugar and commercial pectin. Then I started using recipes with more interesting flavor profiles, like Strawberry Balsamic Thyme. And now, a month into my new hobby, I'm making small batch Plum Ginger without pectin. I based it on this recipe, but reduced the sugar and subbed out ginger for the lemon verbena. Oh, it is so delicious. And it set. Perfectly.

I'm sure I'll be gifting out a lot of these jars, especially around the holidays. That is, if they last that long. Bean eats PB&J sandwiches every day for lunch (sigh), and he is powering through my stash.


In addition to the varieties mentioned above, so far this season, I've made Strawberry Lemon Marmalade, Raspberry White Chocolate, Peach Vanilla, Peach Bourbon, and Blueberry. Plus, I preserved some cherries using this recipe.

Any yum recipes you want to share with me? What should be next on my to-make list?

8 comments:

molly said...

Confession: I already finished that delicious spread you sent and did not share one iota of it with my family. It was sooo good.

Jacey said...

I've only made one jam, earlier this year. It's tomato jam, which was awesome. It's especially good with a little cream cheese. Fantastic.

Your jams look amazing! I had hopes of canning more this summer, but it just has not happened. Maybe before the end of August, though! I've been loving the book, Canning for a New Generation.

Karen P. said...

wow jules, you are so adventurous! I've only ever made strawberry jelly, but now that peach season is here I really want to make some of that!

Jessy said...

Ooh yum! Those sound fantastic. I tend to the basic, trying to use up the berries in my yard. But my friend made blueberry lime jam (with lots of lime), and it was so super tasty. I'm going to have to try it this year. I also can salmon, but that probably wouldn't make sense for you. :)

ictero said...

I made three different versions of rhubarb chutney earlier this year...and have been eating it with cheese, pork (awesome on a cold pork sandwich!), yogurt ... http://ictero.blogspot.com/2011/05/rhubarb-chutney.html

Daddy Geek Boy said...

You guys, the white chocolate raspberry...? It's unbelievably, ridiculously good.

ktquilts said...

I make bing cherry jam that has amaretto in it, peach butter, and plum jam. I think I have to try strawberry lemon marmalade and white chocolate raspberry. How about a swap?

Monkeys in my pocket said...

YUM!!