Sunday, July 10, 2011

Summer Sorbet Quilt

I bought this fabric a while back thinking that it would make a great quilt back. It's a bigger scale print than I'm usually drawn to, but it's bright and happy and I had to have it. I started collecting shades of green, orange, and pink for the quilt top and was thinking that some half-square triangles would be great. There are so many options with HSTs, but in my mind, the quilt was always going to be offset concentric diamonds. Just like this.


I love the way it came out. The colors are some of my very favorites (if I had a dime for every time I paired pink and orange, I'd be filthy rich) and the prints are great. Some Spring Street in orange, Modern Meadow Herringbone in pink, and City Weekend in green, just to name a few. *swoon*

When the quilt top was done, it was so bright and summery to me that I changed my plans for the backing. As much as I love my inspiration fabric, I had a voile backing on my brain for Sprout's quilt, and though I have decided to back hers in flannel, I thought a voile back might make this quilt just perfect for a light summer throw.


I chose a Valori Wells print - the large width of this fabric meant that I could back this 44"x64" quilt with a single piece of fabric. The voile was not as hard to work with as I had feared. I used a 75/11 needle rather than the 90/14 needle that I usually use for quilting, and it quilted perfectly and didn't damage the delicate voile. This quilt is perfect - it is everything I wanted it to be for a warm weather quilt. Light. Bright. Thin but cozy.

I used straight line quilting that followed the lines of the diamond pattern on the front of the quilt. The lines are at random intervals, which matches the random look of the front.


I need another quilt in my house like I need a hole in my head - the shop would be such a better place than my home for this quilt. But I'm just not sure that I can bring myself to list it - I love this one an awful lot. It is folded in a safe place for now - waiting for me to make up my mind on it.

8 comments:

Dan R said...

Beautiful. Such great colors.

Kelly said...

It's beautiful! I love the offset diamond!

Beth said...

It's gorgeous!

MG said...

I love this quilt. Funny--I used that A. Henry fabric as a back for one of my quilts... http://flic.kr/p/9uCo2S

Jacey said...

I would keep it if I were you. As much as you love it? Yeah, don't sell it. Keep. It's beautiful. I love the off-center diamond look.

Live a Colorful Life said...

Keep it. Keep it. Keep it.

Theophanie said...

What a beautiful quilt! I would totally keep it.

Kelly Irene said...

I love the quilt design! I just finish a quilt top with HSTs and I really like the offset look with the diamonds.