Thursday, July 21, 2011

Finish It Up!

Do y'all know Meg? She's crazy talented. The last photo on her banner? Look familiar? Crazy talented. Plus, she's BRILLIANT because she started the "Finish It Up" group on Flickr.

I had wrapped up nearly all of my half-finished projects back in December, but I had one quilt that still languished. It was the first quilt that I free-motioned quilted and it was a bit of a disaster; I really should have practiced more first. I was so disappointed with my quilting that I folded up the un-bound quilt, shoved it in a corner, and let the cats sleep on it. When I finally washed it, the dryer did wonders for it, and while it's so very far from perfect, the crinkles hide a lot of the quilting and I decided to finally bind the thing and finish it up.


I'm glad to have it done. Finished size is 43"x51". It'll make a good picnic quilt since I don't care if it gets stained, but for now the kids are having a grand time building forts with it.

Another project that I started a few months ago and have been meaning to finish is an embroidery of one of Bean's drawings. Bean has never been into art, but this spring brought a new-found love of outer space and, miraculously, a need to express that love through drawing. For the first time, he brought home drawings from preschool every day - rocket ships, planets, aliens. Fully recognizable drawings. I am so in love with his art and the passion in which he describes it all.

I had recently seen this and decided that it was the perfect medium to turn Bean's drawing into a keepsake.


Bean seemed partly proud and party curious that I would have taken his drawing and "did sewing" with it. It hangs above my sewing table and he's more than a bit miffed that he can't have it for his bedroom wall, so I see another one of these in my future.

A big thanks to Meg for the kick in the pants I needed to finish these projects and make way for new ones.

4 comments:

Jacey said...

The embroidery hoop you made is adorable. It's so special that you used Bean's artwork. And your quilt is beautiful! I love the colors, and I'm glad you were able to finish it.

Meg said...

Aw...thanks Jules! You are so sweet! The quilt looks great! Great job in getting it finished!

Theophanie said...

I love the embroidery. :)

Live a Colorful Life said...

I am SO going to turn my granddaughter's line drawing of me (she's 4) into embroidery. Awesome idea!