Wednesday, May 25, 2011

[My House is a] Wildlife Preserve

Things can get a little insane when you're a parent - especially when you're a parent to five year old boy. Like most little boys, mine has a boundless curiosity. Which is why, when we went to the local Bug Fair, we came home with a box of silkworm larvae. Oh, how Bean loves his silkworms. He spends hours letting them crawl all over him and his toys (they 'drive' his toy trucks, crawl along his railroad set, and get put into LEGO boxes). And though we have a few of them left, most have already spun cocoons.


I've explained the life cycle of these little critters to my son and he's none too pleased by it all. Once the silk moths emerge in a week or two, they will mate and die a few days later. The whole "exist to mate" thing is a hard sell for my boy who loves these critters so much that he just wants to name them George and hug them and pet them and squeeze them.

In related wildlife news, I noticed a bird nest in my eaves this past week. I checked to see that there weren't any eggs in it and planned to take it down in another day or so. Today, just before I aimed the hose at it, I decided to check one more time for eggs. And as is my luck, there were eggs there. Poor little eggs. I'm sorry you're not ever going to hatch. I'm sorry I had to pull you and your nest off of my portico. But your mama chose a lousy place to nest. Plus, you make for a lovely day of discovery for my boy.

(eager little fingers can't wait to touch these gems)

If it's possible, Bean might love these eggs more than he loves his silkworm larvae. All he wanted to do was hold them. He kissed one. He asked to hold them in the warm sunlight to hatch them.


When I told him that he couldn't hatch them (in his hand or otherwise), he asked if we could eat the eggs. After considering it, I told him that we couldn't do that, either. He was bummed, but settled on giving the eggs additional kisses.

While my husband might not be totally on board with our transition from suburban home to wildlife preserve, Bean (and even Sprout) is totally digging it. And in all honesty, so am I.

5 comments:

Bessiemae said...

I have a five year old boy too. At the moment my house is in a similar state, though without any actual live creatures. We have a (huge) "squirrel house" in our front yard, built by my son, a brick crushing factory for making a baseball field, and a giant hole dug in our flower bed for I'm not sure what. Oh, and a full size tent in our playroom, lol.

Gotta love five year old boys. :-)

Jessy said...

Love the eggs! What a nice boy you have. I am always finding mason jars full of worms and bugs and other questionable items around our house.

Anonymous said...

have you thought about putting the cocoons in the bug saver so when they hatch, a & t can watch the life cycle again???

Benta At SLIKstitches said...

We had silk worms when my 'baby' was 7 or 8 (she just turned 17!) they are awesome. Sadly number 2 hatched (?) just after number 1 died, so they never got to the mating stage, but the transformation from big greedy slug to tiny, delicate, tissue paper thin moth is a total wonder!

SewAmy said...

I understand the little boys and the love for animals, I've got one of those too.