Thursday, May 19, 2011

Bloggers’ Quilt Festival :: Spring 2011

Happy nearly-Friday. I'm squeaking in under the wire to submit my Selvage Quilt to Amy's Spring Quilt Festival.


I can barely even remember how I got the idea in my head to do a selvage quilt. I must have stumbled onto one of the selvage groups on Flickr and the next thing I knew, I was up to my eyeballs in selvage.


They say that it takes a village, and in this case, it truly did. One of my favorite things about this quilt is that the majority of the more than 1,100 selvages came from other people. I accumulated lots of selvage by trading my yardage for them, but there were many other bits that were just donated to me. People who were following my progress or hearing my pleas on Flickr for selvages would tuck some into a parcel they were already sending me. Occasionally, I'd receive an envelope with a few selvages from a quilty friend - no note, no request for reciprocation. Accumulating selvages for this quilt really showed me what a wonderful community Flickr is.


When I started this quilt, I had planned to make a lap-sized quilt, but I was urged to consider making it bed-sized. I was told that a project like this is a once-in-a-lifetime piece and to go big or go home. The finished quilt is 68"x85" and looks lovely on a twin bed, even though I use in on the couch as an extra large throw.


As much as I love looking at the quilt as a whole, I can get lost in it looking at each individual strip of selvage. While I don't know where or from whom each strip came from, I know which are from my stash - each piece has a memory associated with it. As I glance at the quilt now as I type, I see the print I used to make Sprout a dress. And there's the skeleton print I used to make Bean some Halloween pajama bottoms.

A huge thank you to Amy for hosting such a wonderful quilt festival. I'm honored to have my quilt among so many other gorgeous works of art. Do spend some time going through them all here - there is some amazing eye candy that will certainly get your creative juices flowing.

14 comments:

felicity said...

Such a fabulous project - the finished quilt is completely inspiring and beautiful. Flickr peeps are definitely the best.

Amy said...

Love it every time I see it!

Live a Colorful Life said...

You will be not be surprised to know that I.LOVE.THIS.QUILT.!!!!!!!!!!!!

Whew. I feel much better now. Being just slightly selvage-obsessed myself, this is amazing! I know what you mean about little packages arriving in the mail (hmmm, seems like I just got one of those from YOU this week--thanks!)

Jacey said...

My love for this quilt has not faded. This is absolutely my favorite project of yours. You are so talented, and you made the selvages sing!

Karen said...

Stunning quilt, it makes such a huge visual impact just through the photos! :o)

Hollie said...

This is such a stunning quilt. I really, really love it. You have me inspired!

Siobhan said...

Its beautiful. What a great quilt :)

mb. said...

very bright & fun!

stitchinpenny said...

Love it and I love the fact that the internet village helped you finish it.

Side Stitches said...

Wow, so fun! I can't imagine what your stash must look like to have so many selvages. I love the idea! Great work!

Debbie said...

amazing quilt - wow.

BJ said...

Great quilt.

pinsandneedles said...

Wow! I have been saving salvages for a while now but still don't have enough for a quilt of that size. I really like this and will do one someday! Thanks for sharing!

Heidi said...

incredible quilt !
you must be very proud of it :-)