Friday, April 22, 2011

The Selvage Quilt - Finally Finished

It's done!! The Selvage Quilt is done!!


I don't even know where to begin. I am so glad to have this one done - it really was a labor of love. I wish that the photos did it justice, but there are so many tiny details in each piece of selvage that so much gets lost in a picture. I love looking at each individual square, each tiny scrap of fabric, and each memory that goes with that fabric.


The quilt was made using string squares 8" squares, 80 in all, that are sashed in Kona Navy. On average, each square has about 14 selvages, which means that I used upwards of 1,100 strips of selvage. The flannel backing is All Star Blue Dots by Riley Blake. Binding is Alexander Henry's Raindrop Stripe (thank you Amber, for that awesome call).


This was sent to the long-arm quilter - there was no way that I was going to risk unsightly puckers on this quilt. The quilting is slightly more dense than I though it would end up, but I do like the way the pattern plays off of the diamond pattern of the string blocks.

(The color is way off here, but you can see the quilting design easily.)

This quilt was initially intended to be a lap quilt, but I was talked into making it a twin size - the finished size is 68"x85". Because I will still probably use it to cuddle on the couch with my sweetie and because I like some serious heft in my blankets, I had the quilter use two layers of batting when she quilted it. This quilt is seriously heavy - maybe a bit more so than I had intended. That said, it's going to be awesome come next winter.


A huge thank you to everyone who traded or donated selvages for this project - I couldn't have done it without you. Thank yous also to everyone who supported me as I obsessed, complained, and sewed (a lot!) through this project.

17 comments:

sew and so much more said...

Jules it is a simply GORGEOUS work of art! I'm so glad you made it bed sized :-) It will be an heirloom I'm sure....to be enjoyed for a very long time.

Live a Colorful Life said...

This is amazing! I'm completely selvage obsessed myself and wish I had "known" you sooner!(we were in 3x6 together recently). Let me know if you start another selvage project.

Jenny said...

BRAVO!! amazing quilt jules...one for the ages...you have a label on it, right????

Quiltstory said...

This is AMAZING! We would love to feature you on our blog Quiltstory...(sorry I couldn't see a way to email you.) If you're interested email us at myquiltstory{at}gmail . We'd love to hear from you!

Carolyn said...

it's really gorgeous!!!

Susan said...

Such a fabulous accomplishment, Jules! You should be very proud and you have a forever treasure on your hands, now! Good going!

Jessy said...

Jules, that is fantastic. Just lovely.

Jennadesigns said...

It's so beautiful! What a great quilt ... I think I'd have a hard time sleeping under it - so much fun fabric to look at and all those tiny little details! WOW!

Little Bluebell (Adrianne) said...

It's really beautiful!!

Nichole said...

this is so pretty!

virginia said...

i'm so excited to see it done! yah!! wish i lived closer so i could see it in person...

Jacey said...

I already professed my love for this beauty over on flickr, but wow. Seriously, Jules. Wow. This is an amazing quilt. You should be very proud of this accomplishment!

Stefanie said...

Wow! It is absolutely breathtaking! You did an amazing job.

Coffeebean's Dailies said...

Great job! I have been collecting selvedges myself to make just this! Wish me luck!

felicity said...

Completely fabulous!

Beth said...

Gorgoeus, Julie! And I think with the size of this quilt it just made all that work sewing the blocks more worth it!

ohnikki said...

I absolutely LOVE this quilt! Even the 'heft' of it! I saw it at the LAMQG meeting on Monday. You did an AWESOME job!