Thursday, April 21, 2011

Goodbye, Old Friend

I never knew how attached I was until it was gone. It's always the way, isn't it? It's been in my life for more than a decade; certainly long before I was a sewer. At first it was just a teeny tiny part of my life, but as I became a sewer and then a quilter, we spent so much more time together.

I admit I didn't take care of it like I should have. I dropped it. A lot. I rarely cleaned it. And it really has started to show it's age. It's plastic casing is cracked and broken. Its lovely nonstick coating had worn off (how does that even happen??). It is time. Oh, cheapie Black and Decker iron, it is time to say goodbye.



I never really paid much attention to my old iron, but now that it's gone, I miss the way it fit in my hand - it was so familiar. And while my new iron, a similarly cheapie Sunbeam is so lovely (it doesn't drip, isn't cracked, and has no hard water buildup), I do find that I miss my old one. Just a little.



No comments: