Monday, April 11, 2011

The Citrus Quilt

It's springtime and everywhere I look I see lovely shades of citrus. Lemon yellow shows up in the lantana that greets me outside of my family room window and in the center of the strawberry blossoms in my garden.



My California poppies are the colors of Mandarins.


And the radishes that have just started to germinate in their peat pots are the color of Key Limes.

How could I not be inspired by these amazing colors? The result is this - The Citrus Quilt.


I used 8" blocks that were improv pieced in square and rectangle configurations. Most blocks had what would become the white sashing as the outer edge of the block, but a small handful of blocks featured no white or white sashing on only two or three sides.

The starting point for the quilt was a striped Art Gallery Fabrics print, which I knew I wanted to use to do this with. I don't think I'll ever tire of this application.


The back is primarily Kona Cheddar with some scraps added for visual interest. It's been free motion quilted and is crinkly and lovely from the dryer.


The finished quilt measures 38"x45" (yikes - that's 2"-3" of shrinkage with fabrics and batting that wasn't prewashed!). Binding is handstitched using two patterns that were featured in the quilt. You can find it in the shop.


5 comments:

euphoria said...

it rocks! NICE job!!

Monkeys in my pocket said...

It is so lovely, like a big glass of orange juice!!

Jacey said...

The quilt is so beautiful, and I love your inspiration pictures!

Stephanie said...

So cute and yummy! I want to drink it through a straw :)

Jen said...

This is truly gorgeous! I love it!