Monday, April 25, 2011

Circle of Geese Quilt

This is the last of the nearly finished quilts that's been sitting in my WIP bin for months on end. The Circle of Geese quilt was made in collaboration with some wonderful women in an online quilting bee that I was part of last year.


I sent each bee member a selection of fabric scraps in a single color as well as a large cut of my background fabric, which is Moda's Basic Grey - Grunge in Hot Chocolate. I asked everyone to make a Circle of Geese block in the pattern and size of their choosing. There are a few patterns for this type of block - this is probably the most popular one, but my favorite pattern was created by Lynne.

The blocks I got back are gorgeous. Circle of Geese blocks aren't easy and the ladies did an amazing job. I love this quilt - it is nearly exactly how I had envisioned it. I had grandiose ideas of making a quilt comprised of circles into the shape of a circle like this, but when push came to shove, I didn't have it in me. So I ended up with a (nearly) square quilt, but it doesn't make me love it any less. My plan was always to have this quilt be a picnic quilt - something to keep in the back of my car for all of the impromptu picnics I have with my kids. To that end, I added a loop on the back of the quilt so that it rolls up for easy transport.


The back is a single print - yardage of some Alexander Henry that I had on hand and had been wanting to use up. Binding is pink Crosshatch from the Farmdale line. I stippled the quilt in grey - I was worried that the thread would be too light against the main color of the quilt, but it ended up being nearly invisible. Finished size is 60"x63".


I'm glad to finally have an empty WIP bin. While I'd like to believe this means that I'm about to take a breather from quilting, I already have two new projects that I'm itching to start.

6 comments:

Live a Colorful Life said...

This is amazingly stunning. That double circle of geese practically takes my breath away!

Jessica said...

Awesome!

ictero said...

That's just gorgeous! I didn't need another project to work on, but I might have to add something like this to my list!

Jacey said...

Another beauty! I'm so impressed with your productivity lately. This is so lovely, and it's even better, knowing that other quilters contributed to it. I love the loop you added.

Kati said...

I love this! I have thought about doing something similar, but the random assortment of blocks and colors is truly amazing. I love your design.

ktquilts said...

Putting this quilt on my bucket list!! Lovely, Great idea about the loop!