Monday, March 28, 2011

Palate Cleansers

I've been cranking out quilts lately; I finally bound and finished my confetti quilt, I made my Pips quilt, and I whipped up a quilt for the Modern Relief auction. And in the middle of all of it, I pulled some fabric for my next quilt. But for now I totally needed some palate cleansers - a few small projects to clear out my head and my sewing room before starting my next big project.

**********

I've been loving the Jane Market Bags that I've seen online and have been meaning to buy the pattern for ages. I've also been meaning to put together a new bag for my kids' sand toys and it seemed like the right idea to marry those two intents.


I used some Dwell home dec. weight fabric that I got at JoAnn's on sale for the main body, some Alexander Henry dots that I had lying around for the pocket, and some un-named brown Kona for the lining. As for the pattern, it's great - I highly recommend it. It's so easy to follow and makes a great product. I did make a few small changes to the pattern, though.

• I added batting to the straps to help them keep their shape better when I wash the bag.

• I didn't put a pocket on the back side of the bag - its' a solid piece of fabric.

• I shortened the front pocket by 2" and widened it by 1.5" then added elastic to the top of it to keep my items secure.

• I added a button and loop closure at the top to keep sandy toys from tumbling out of the bag in the back of my car.

I love how the bag came out and see lots of these in my future - they'll make great gifts.


**********

After I finished up my Pips quilt, I had a lot of leftover scraps made some sweet placemats with them. I loved making them - all the fun of making a quilt with just a fraction of the work. They are sashed in Kona Coal and bound with Alexander Henry's Heath in Pink, which is the same binding I used on the Pips quilt.


These have already been washed and dried for that lovely crinkly look. I had intended to list them in the shop, but they are so lovely that I'm going to have a hard time parting with them. We'll see...


**********

These sweet little skirts will be listed in the shop next week unless Sprout pilfers one or two of them first. The two on the right were made from bits out of my scrap bin and the three on the left are from a single yard of Urban Garden that I got in a Flickr swap. They are just the thing for the spring weather that is finally headed our way.



Now that I've had cleaned out some of the scraps from my studio and had the gratification of some quickly finished projects, I'm off to go start another quilt. What are you working on these days?

2 comments:

Monkeys in my pocket said...

I like that bag. And I like those placemats too. Hmmm, and I like that you have been sewing so many quilts lately. You make me want to get off this computer and sew.... but first I must look at that bag pattern!

Jacey said...

Sometimes, the palate definitely needs to be cleansed. These projects looked like they really did the trick! I love everything here, especially the market bag. I've been eyeing that pattern. Your mods are very useful.

I've been working on lots of different things, but I can't really complain. I like having lots of projects going at once.