Saturday, February 5, 2011

Stashbuster Playmat

I had intended this quilt to be for a dear friend and her new baby. But once the quilt top was done I realized that it wasn't right for her. I do love it, though and now that I made her a quilt that better matches her style, I have finally finished this one.


This quilt was made entirely of stash fabrics - front, back, and binding. The starting point was this striped print that I bought a small cut of at JoAnn's a lifetime and a half ago. I loved it then and I love it now. I decided to use my favorite application for striped fabrics and was able to get five blocks made.


From there I added some some Alexander Henry owls and some of my very favorite Moda Home dots (even though it's decorator weight, it's nearly as soft as quilting cotton and it has a lovely hand). Kona Coral, Kona Stone, and some un-named yellow and brown round out the lot. The pieced back features the same fabrics from the front and the binding finishes up what's left of my Kona Coral stash.


I love that it's gender neutral and I cannot get enough of that Kona Coral - I do foresee more of it in my near future. It is so bright and cheery that it brings a smile to my face every time. This quilt features random stippling, is hand bound, and the finished size is 39" square.

It's listed in the shop. UPDATE: Quilt has now sold.




3 comments:

Daddy Geek Boy said...

I see that you decided not to go with my suggested name. Good choice. The moral here is never ask your husband, who is bad with titles to begin with, for ideas after a Super Bowl party.

Lynne (Lily's Quilts) said...

OK firstly the comment above is making me laugh - is that your other half? My husband and my kids comment on my blog too. Love this owls quilt and I love that Joann's stripe and what you did with it.

Lynne (Lily's Quilts) said...

Oh and I forgot to say what I came for, thank you for your lovely kind comment on my MBS quilt. X