Friday, February 4, 2011

The 3x6 - 1Q11

The two virtual quilting bees I was in have wrapped up and although I needed another commitment like I need a whole in my head, I decided to join the 3x6 Bee.

This type of bee works differently than most. In the 3x6, you're assigned to a group of seven members and have three months to create 6 blocks. The blocks that you create for your fellow "hive" members are to be designed by you; the only design stipulation is that each block has to be identical. Each member supplies the fabric for the blocks they make and everyone gets to chose the colors of the blocks being made for them.

I made this sample for myself using the colors that I wanted - primarily blue and green. I think it might have been a bit batty to use Oh Fransson's Mod Mosaic Pattern for this bee - after all, it is an improv pattern by it's very nature and the point of this bee is to create multiple blocks that are identical. Oops.

While they aren't perfectly identical, they are pretty close - I tried hard to get not only the shapes similar but also made sure that the colors followed the same motif between the blocks.

I had a lot of fun making these, and I hope my hive members like their blocks. I really enjoyed the opportunity to put my stash together in combinations that I ordinarily wouldn't have. I think I'm in love with the grey/black/green combo.

4 comments:

Jacey said...

I really love this block. It's on the to-do list! Yours look great.

Chicken Julie said...

Thanks - they were great fun and I see a bunch more in my future...

Live a Colorful Life said...

when my orange and grey block arrived, I was stunned. It is gorgeous!!! I love it. Thank you SOO much. I have it on my design wall, which i can see from my office (I'm a home-based medical transcriber) and I keep taking breaks to stare at it...

Chicken Julie said...

So glad you love it!! I really liked your color choices.