Friday, January 14, 2011

More on Resolutions

I've been thinking hard about StashPact and my crafting resolutions. I run a small business, so it is unreasonable to think that I wouldn't purchase any fabric whatsoever for the whole year. Also, already this year I've spent $57.94 at my local quilt shop. $20 was on a 12.5" square ruler, which I've wanted (and needed) for a very long time and the reminder was on fabric (only half of which was bought for a quilt that I'm currently working on). For shame...

So here's what I've rundown.

1. Purchases for project-completing supplies are allowed when needed without question. These types of supplies include thread, quilt batting, insul-brite for making potholders, snaps for making bibs, and trims for dresses.

2. Solids are allowed when purchased for a specific project. Now that I've sorted my scraps, I have a few quilts in mind, but they'll all require sashing of some sort; I'm going to need some plain yardage to complete them.

3. Prints are also allowed when purchased in small quantities for a specific project. If I have the makings for a whole quilt save for a half-yard of fabric or so, it's okay to purchase that bit of fabric. The goal is to use up my stash, but I am realistic enough to know that I'll have to supplement what I have in some cases. I made this quilt, front and back, from stash fabric. But I simply did not have anything in my stash to bind it. So $3.50 later, I had purchased a half-yard of yellow micro-striped fabric and had a brand new quilt to show for it. It was a worthy investment.

4. Make Bigger Quilts. I love quilting, but most of my quilts are baby quilts - approximately 39"x47". The reason for this is twofold - not only do smaller projects give me quicker gratification when I complete each project, but I started sewing for children and most of my projects are aimed to them. But I'll have many more uses (and recipients) for my quilts if I start sewing them in larger sizes.

5. Stop Hoarding Fabrics. Like many quilters, there are some fabric lines that I just can't get enough of. Swell. Munki. Flea Market Fancy. While my collection of prized fabrics is small, it is dear to me. And while I have cut into those lovely bits here and there, I do want to use them more often in the coming year. There's just no point to having them folded up neatly - the point of fantastic fabric is to use it.


I'm enjoying hearing about your fabric goals for the year - do keep them coming!

1 comment:

woman with wings said...

Hi Julie, fun to read your fabric goals. It's like we can be so firm with ourselves sometimes. But then we see some great fabric and we buy 3 yards and tell ourselves it was "meant to be" all the way home. That's the way it is around here anyway! But I think it's wonderful to start out so strong in resolve.