Sunday, December 12, 2010

The Love Quilt

I finished the quilt I made using Downy's Quilts for Kids kit. While it's not the fabrics nor the pattern that I'd ordinarily use, it turned out to be a sweet little quilt.


This was a lovely little project and I'd highly recommend that my quilty friends participate in this program. While I've never kept track of the time it takes me to make a quilt, I do know that this one came together much quicker than most, in part because all of the fabric was pre-cut.


All together, this quilt took 170 minutes, or just shy of three hours. The breakdown is as follows: 80 minutes to piece the top; 70 minutes to baste, trim the batting and backing, and quilt; and 20 minutes to bind.

There are many ways to bind a quilt. I always use a double fold binding and hand stitch it for a clean, polished look. That said, I tried something different this time. The paperwork that came with the quilt kit suggested that one way to bind the quilt is to double fold the extra backing forward and topstitch it. It further suggested that a zig-zag stitch helps prevent the binding from getting caught on IV lines. I decided to use both of these techniques, both to save time and increase the durability and function of the quilt. It's not heirloom quality, but it's fine for this quilt.


Once the quilt was done, I took a few extra minutes and used free motion quilting to write the word "love" in a continuous loop around the border. I think it makes a sweet addition to this quilt.

I provided 3 hours of my time and $5 or so worth of batting; now a sick child has a new quilt. How great is that? I'll be sending away for another free quilt kit sometime very soon and I hope that you do, too. You can see some of the other quilts that have been made for the Quilts for Kids project here.

No comments: