Friday, December 31, 2010

Finishing up the Year - Making Things Harder Than They Need To

Whew - it's been a busy week, but I really am pleased with the dent I've made in my WIP pile. Don't get me wrong - there's still lots there that I need to finish up, but the six projects that I finished up this week have made me feel much better.

Remember these fun squares? I love how they look in this finished product - the quilt looks exactly like I had envisioned it would. Can you recognize the pattern? It's nearly identical to a disappearing 9-Patch. Except that I pieced this in the most backwards way possible to get the same effect.


Instead of making a traditional 9-Patch and cutting it into quarters, I made blocks of three sizes - a large square, a small square, and a medium rectangle. I sewed them into units consisting of a large square, two small squares, and a medium rectangle. In hindsight, it was such a cumbersome way of making what should have been a very simple quilt. I just didn't know any better. You live, you learn, right?


This quilt was inspired by Michael Miller's Sassy Stripe print, which I made into these blocks (I can't tell you how much I love using this application for striped fabric - I see a lot more of these blocks in my future). From there, I pulled fabrics from my stash in colors that matched the stripe print. Everything except the binding on this quilt came from stash scraps, which I'm pretty pleased about. I *have* to start using my leftovers more often.


Finished size is 37"x44" and features a hand-sewn binding. It's listed in the shop.

I hope that I've inspired you to take a crack at some of those long-forgotten projects. Here's to a happy, safe, and creative New Year!

No comments: