Friday, November 12, 2010

Craft Fail

I've been so uninspired lately. I feel like everything that I sketch is just blah - hardly worth making. And when I finally do complete a project, it's not what I want it to be. Some projects look perfectly fine, but not exciting. They just seem bland. Pedestrian. Sometimes they are downright wrong or ill-conceived.

I've been working on round two of the Scrappy Mug Rug Swap for the past week. My partner created a wonderful inspiration mosaic to help inspire me, but nothing seems to be clicking. I created one mug rug that I liked, but knew not to be her style, which by definition, makes it a fail. I worked on two more that didn't even make the cut to be photographed. Fail and fail. And then there is this one - my fourth attempt.


I love it and I know that she will too, but it such a literal translation of something that I've seen before; I wish it was more original. Not only that, but I forgot to shrink the pattern before using it. So what should be a small mug rug is now a hot pad the size of a dinner plate. Fail.

In the midst of repeated failures and a total lack of inspiration, I decided to make a new cover for my ironing board as a kind of palate cleanser. There are oodles of tutorials for a project like this - I think I used a combination of three different ones. Just Google it.

I used some of my beloved Swell for this project. Part of me thought it crazy to cut into such a large piece of out of print fabric for a project like this and part of me thought about how lovely it would be to see that Swell print every time I sewed. The second part won.


And while I have no regrets about cutting into my rare(ish) fabric, I'm totally peeved at myself for not thinking about the direction of an ironing board. As I was cutting, I was thinking that an ironing board is pretty non-directional. Until I stood it up to store it. And now my birds hang upside down. Ugh. Even though my husband thinks that I'm bananas for saying so, I know the truth. This project fails.


I just wish I knew how to get my groove back. Hubby tells me to walk away from the sewing table for a bit, but I'm feeling the pull to keep on crafting in the hopes that something clicks, even though it seems that nothing is. Which is frustrating.

7 comments:

felicity said...

For what it's worth, I adore your mug rug (a similar idea has been percolating in my brain) AND your ironing board cover. But yeah, the upside down birds would irk me too. Not enough to redo it, though.

emedoodle said...

I think your mug rug/cookie plate rug is amazing. I'd send it as is. :) I feel you on the crafting blahs. I've been feeling that way a bit. I have one project that's really moving but other than that I just can't seem to be able to make something I love. For me I usually get out of funks by sewing up with loooots of grey and AMH fabric (hehe) do you have a fave fabric to put you in the crafting mood? It might help!

Andrea said...

I understand what you're going through. I hope you get out of your funk. Sometimes I think I get like this because there is just so much amazing creativity out there, and I just start to feel like my ideas just don't measure up. I suggest a little fabric shopping therapy. Buy a few pieces that you absolutely adore and make something just for yourself - using a premade pattern, less stress.

Kelly said...

Keep on crafting girl if you have the urge! You'll find your groove. Might want to stay away from precious fabric until you know you've found it again. I'd hate to see you upset because of a project fail with HTF stuff. I love the dinner plate mug rug! Santa's a big guy, he needs lots of cookies and a huge glass of milk so that rug is perfect! BTW, I have a yard of that Swell print if you want to swap fabric/project and restock your stash. ;)

Anonymous said...

The problem is that you are leaning your ironing board in the corner rather than hanging it by it's foot from a stand...that way the pattern direction wouldn't be bothering you...anyway, lean back and enjoy the beautiful pattern in your sewing space when you iron...you are a super-star...M

Jolene said...

Sometimes when I feel that way, I need to just forget about what anyone else likes or wants, and even forget about whether what I'm doing is original and new. Just makes something because it's FUN.

Jacey said...

I've felt a bit of crafting funk myself lately. It's hard not to be discouraged when things don't turn out the way you want them to.

Personally, I don't think either of these projects are fails. The mug rug is lovely, even if it's bigger than normal.