Monday, September 20, 2010

Kid's Clothes Week - Day 1

Meg over at Elsie Marley is hosting a Kid's Clothes Week - just in time to make my kids a new autumn wardrobe.

Bean is in desperate need of new pants. He insists upon pants that have elastic waists - no buttons, no snaps, no zippers. The only thing commercially made that fits that bill is track pants. I cannot tell you how sick I am of seeing my kid in track pants.

Today I made him a pair of Oliver + S Sailboat pants. The this is the second Oliver + S pattern that I've used and they are consistently so easy to follow - a total joy to make. For these pants, I used a fine-wale corduroy in a nondescript purple-blue (oh how I wish I had a name for it). I made a few modifications to the pattern to make the perfect pants for my boy.


I lengthened the pants to full length and got rid of the vents at the hem. I also nixed the buttons - I realized that if I stitched the front of the pants closed, they'd still be stretchy enough to pull on and off and really, buttons are just a bit too preppy for my kid.


I'm really pleased with how they came out. I also added a few little details - I rotated the corduroy 90 degrees before cutting the side-front panels, so the nap on the them is perpendicular to the nap of the rest of the pants. I also used Alexander Henry's 2D Zoo as the inside facing to give a pop of color and fun to the pants as my boy puts them on.


I wish I had gotten a photo of him wearing them, but he *hates* to model clothes and as soon as we agreed that they fit, he yanked them off.

Edited to add that Bean finally agreed to model for me in the below picture. I wish he wasn't making that face, but I guess beggars can't be choosers.

3 comments:

Andrea @ TheTrainToCrazy.com said...

Love how they look. I can totally relate to a kid that doesn't want to model clothes! I hope you'll link up to Make It Wear It on Thursday at TheTrainToCrazy.com

... said...

Love the lining.

Periwinkle?
x

Chicken Julie said...

PERIWINKLE!! Of course. That's what happens when I try to blog after a full day of life. Thanks!