Thursday, August 12, 2010

The Evolution of a Quilter

Once upon a time ago, I started sewing - mostly basic baby blankets and the occasional bib. I'd turn a yard of fabric into a project, trash my scraps, and start the whole process again. As time passed, I started quilting. But even then, I didn't immediately start collecting scraps. I couldn't put together different colors and patterns and instead relied on full collections from designers rather than mixing different prints myself. I had no concept of using solids to break up a bunch of busy patterns. I didn't know about sashing - the word wasn't even in my lexicon. I exclusively backed in a single print. I didn't own a rotary cutter or a cutting mat. In short, I was a mess.

After I had made one or two quilt tops, I created this one. Oh, I loved the Bleeker Street line and couldn't wait to create with it. And this is what I came up with.

I found this monstrosity folded up in the bottom of my WIP bin. To say that this quilt is busy doesn't even begin to do the word justice. Wow - there is a lot going on here. While I do see that I added some Amy Butler and some Joel Dewberry, this quilt is nothing more than a lot of busy squares with an even busier border. This quilt hurts my eyes on many levels, not the least of which is that some of the stripes are vertical and some are horizontal. I am glad that I didn't quilt it. Had I, though, it would have been very simple straight line quilting. Without a walking foot. Gah!

I loved Bleeker Street when I purchased these prints and I do still love it now, so rather than walking away from this quilt, I decided to dismantle it and start anew. And this is what I came up with.


Today's version is a coin quilt, sashed in Kona Snow. It is light, bright, and modern. It is not overly fussy. It features a pieced back and fun pebble quilting.


I love this quilt so much for what it is, but even more for its history. I'm so pleased with how my eye and techniques have improved over the past few years and am so looking forward to seeing how I continue to improve going forward.

7 comments:

Daddy Geek Boy said...

I've come out of lurking to tell you how amazed I am at your progress. Amazed and very proud.

Chicken Julie said...

Thanks, my love.

liannallama said...

Beautiful quilt transformation! Love it!

Little Bluebell (Adrianne) said...

I saw your quilt over on flickr today. I love the quick change. ; )

oversewn said...

LOVE how you re-used something you hated! I have sooooo many of those. I better start recycling......:)

Chicken Julie said...

Thanks, all.

Dan Rouse said...

Good save!