Thursday, August 5, 2010

Birthday Favors

I don't know about you, but I'm so over party favors. It's birthday season here and I can't begin to tell you how many little trinkets we have lying around - it's like Oriental Trading Company exploded in my playroom. Everywhere you look, there's detritus from goody bags long since forgotten about.

Sprout's second (!) birthday just passed. Her party was a small affair so I decided to whip up a few crayon wraps for the kids - something that I hope they'll be able to actually use. I increased the size from how I typically make them and filled them with slightly chunkier (and triangle!) crayons that are easier for little hands to grasp.


And while we're on the topic of birthdays, can we talk cake? Specifically, frosting. Goodness, I love good frosting. Sprout requested carrot cake and I whipped up a batch of my easy-peasy cream cheese icing. It's a block of softened cream cheese and enough sweetened condensed milk (just shy of a full can) to get the consistency right. Oh, I do love it, and the best part is that there's that leftover bit of sweetened condensed milk that's just begging to be polished of with a very large spoon.

2 comments:

Kelly said...

ooooh! great idea for the roll ups! I was thinking about making little library totes for my son's 4th birthday coming up, but maybe I'll do rollups!

Jacey said...

I love the roll-ups. Darling!