Sunday, July 11, 2010

My New Nightime Companion

I was up much later than I wanted to be last night. The hand-stitched binding on the beauty that I first mentioned here was nearly done. Oh, how I wanted to just finish it up and be able to cuddle with it. Another hour of trashy TV later (so what if I like SYTYCD?) and it was done - just in time for me to stumble into bed with it. I do love it so, and while it ended up being too warm for my bed now, I know it won't stop me from sleeping with it for the foreseeable future.


I ended up using 100% cotton batting, a decision that I know that I'll regret come January when I realize that it's not as warm as I'd like it to be. I backed it with a cozy flannel print by Moda. The binding is a subtle yellow and white stripe. I had been fantasizing about a beautiful Kei Honeycomb binding, but was worried that would draw the eye out when I wanted the focus to go inward. I'm ultimately happy with my final decision - I really like how you barely notice the binding.


At 51"x70", it is the largest quilt that I've made and I found that quilting it was quite difficult. I had initially planned to stipple it, since I do love the look so much, but quickly realized that this quilt was going to be too heavy and cumbersome for such a project. I ended up with simple diagonal lines and do like the effect - it's so simple that it's barely there and it really lets the fabrics of the quilt shine.


I can't believe it's taken me this long to make a quilt for me - everything else I've labored over has found a new home, usually with a new baby, and I'm so pleased to have something just for me. Initially, I was worried that the size of this quilt was a bit overwhelming, but in the end it wasn't as hard as I feared. And already I find myself itching to start another lap quilt. I think I hear my couch is calling for one...

8 comments:

Kelly said...

I love this! It's just so beautiful!

April (Polkadot Sparrow) said...

This is so pretty! I, too, have not made a quilt for me yet. Sigh. One day...

Your idea on the binding was a good one. And I admire your ability to pick so many fabrics that go together so beautifully!

beachiesews said...

I love this! It is a modern version of quilts my grandmother made years ago! I love the color combo...it is an inspiration for a baby quilt I am making! Happy colors!

Chicken Julie said...

Thank you all for the kind words. Oh, I am loving sleeping with it, even though it is ridiculous to have a quilt on my bed in the middle of July.

@April: Do make yourself something nice - it is such a good feeling

@Beachiesews: Everything old is new again, huh?

beachiesews said...

Yep. I love retro and this color combo is just "happy". I love seeing old made new with a modern twist!

Angie said...

Beautiful! I need to make a quilt for myself as well.

Diane said...

so glad that I got to see the back of this beautiful work of art!!

... said...

Oh my God, YES. Fantastic Jules.