Saturday, May 29, 2010

What a Waste!

I was a sewer long before I was a quilter. Back then, I really didn't try to find uses for my scraps. I couldn't think of much to do with smaller bits of fabric, so I simply threw them out. It makes me sick to think of all the lovely little bits of out of print fabric that I trashed without regard. Strips that were 5"x 36" (and sometimes even bigger!) - gone in an instant. Oh, the quilts that I could have made with my favorite prints....

Now that I'm a quilter, I try to use every bit of fabric I buy. I save and use my scraps. And I am so thankful to have those tiny pieces. Even one little piece of a favorite print in a large quilt can make me smile.

And now I'm on a quest to get even more use out of my fabric. I just stumbled onto this blog and I am in love. I had already started saving my selvages, and seeing all of the wonderful creations has me so eager to start using them.


It's such a slow process to collect them, so until I have enough for a project, you can find me here swooning over what others have done with them. Should you have selvages that you're interested in swapping for small yardage, please let me know.

2 comments:

Donna said...

how much of the fabric do I need to include? I'd be interested in swapping...

Chicken Julie said...

Donna: Not much more than a quarter of an inch or so of the pattern - just enough to be able to sew it to the next piece of fabric. Thanks!