Sunday, April 18, 2010

The Power of Practice

I've been quilting for about two years, but by quilting, I mean sewing together charm packs and sending the completed top off to my favorite long-arm quilter, Karen. But now I'm really starting to experiment and expand my quilt designs and decided that I really should learn to do the quilting myself, too.

Oh, my - free motion quilting is tricky-tricky. It is unlike any sewing I've ever done. I'm afraid that I totally wrecked the first quilt top that I quilted. I really should have practiced more on some scrap fabric, but I was so eager to start playing. But like most things in life, the more you practice, the better you get. So far, I've done 4 small quilt tops (no bigger than 40"x50" or so), and you can see how much better I've gotten in just that short amount of time.


My stitches are much more uniform and my stipple has gotten much tighter. I'm really pleased with my progress.

So, that first quilt, as I said, is ruined. I haven't even bothered to bind it, because, really, what's the point? I'll finish it up one day and let the kids use it to build forts with or something. But the fourth quilt... I just adore it. I made it to donate to my kid's school for their annual silent auction fundraiser. I have to turn it in tomorrow and quite frankly, I'm going to have a very hard time parting with it.

1 comment:

What Comes Next? said...

It looks fabulous! Your FMQ is great. I'd say your first attempt is way better then my first was! Ya know, I think there just might be something to that practice makes perfect thing!